Monday, March 12, 2007

What bronchitis...??

I have had so many good reports from my babies various teachers today I almost forgot how deathly ill I feel. Today was report card day for Xavier. I must say I feel like this report card better reflects his genius. The last report card was average and I realized Xavier was not showing his true colours in school. Carl and I separately and together explained the joys of being ahead of the class to Xavier and he caught on pretty quick. He now realizes it is a lot more fun to be smart than to just blend in. Anyway...back to his report card. The kids are graded using a number system of 1-4, 1 being nothing and 4 being exceeding expectations. There are about 50 different subjects and Xavier has a lot of fours. I will admit there are a couple 2's but not in anything academic. He got a two for not raising his hand and waiting his turn to speak, a two for not always practising self control, and a two for not always moving safely in his personal space. Everything to do with reading and writing he got a 4 in. He also got a couple 4's in the math category. The best part of his report card for me was the report from the grade 1 teacher.
Here is what she wrote word for word:
I am enjoying working with Xavier. He is a quieter member who initially liked to watch and listen to others. I am noticing him take more of an active part as he starts to feel comfortable. Xavier is reading at a mid grade one level. In recent assessment he was able to read unfamiliar text at a level 7/8. I am impressed with the strategies he used. He looked at pictures and checked the letters to make sure what he said matched the printed word. He self corrected when what he read did not make sense. Good thinking Xavier!! Xavier did an excellent job retelling the story in his own words at the end which showed that he completely comprehended what he had read. This next term we will focus on learning the sounds of letter combinations and instantly recognizing them in words. A pleasure to work with. I look forward to working with you next term Xavier.
I am glowing!!!
What a kid!
This afternoon Klausine was the only girl who showed up for gymnastics. She got a private lesson and at the end her teacher was just gushing. She thought Klausine was turning 5 in may because she caught on so fast and is so graceful and co-ordinated. Was she talking about my daughter??? It is amazing how different your children can be from you!
Now I am back to feeling really sick but Carl is home now so I am off duty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it just make you practically turn inside out when people who know, say wonderful things about your children?! And they ARE wonderful, and talented, and smart, and cute!!