Friday, July 4, 2008

Fun friday night

So since there hasn't been enough sickness and drama in the Hicks household recently we thought we would end the week with a LONG trip to the local clinic! The kids and I washed the van and while I was outside putting everything away Xavier had a little run in with the coffee table. He came to me a little dazed and said he hit his head while he was chasing the cat. I had a look and noticed it was a pretty good gash so thought we better head to the ER. The coffee table he ran into has rounded corners so I figured he was going pretty fast to split his head open that much! I was pretty sure our local walk in clinics didn't do stitches but my gut instinct told me to stop and ask on the way. I'm glad I did because they indeed do stitches and said the wait at the ER was 8 hours tonight!! I explained to the super nice receptionist I had all 5 of my kids with me and really didn't want to wait in the tiny, sick waiting room. She told me to pull my van around to the side window and she would wave me over when it was our turn. I am so grateful she was willing to do that because it ended up being a 3 hour wait!! We got there just before 5 and hadn't had dinner yet. Luckily I had a couple bags of gold fish to tide the kids over.

We watched a movie in the van, took a little stroll around the parking lot and played a gazillion games of what time is it Mr. wolf. By the time it was finally our turn the kids were done!!


The doctor had to ask the nurse to come and take the screaming, starving banshees out of the room so he could concentrate on what he was doing! I must say I was a little embarrassed but I understood the kids frustration. I was on the verge of throwing myself on the floor and screaming too!
The doctor did a great job and Xavier was really brave! He said we needed to come back in 5 days to get the stitches removed and I laughed out loud. He understood and decided instead to give me a quick lesson in removing stitches! This was our first time getting a baby stitched up and I'm proud to say we all survived!!




11 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

aw aw aw - poor guy!!

fawndear said...

You need a friend who will take your kids on the spur of the moment. Wish I would have been close enough to help.
So sorry for your little guy. I managed 17 years of kids before we finally had to get stitches - I know crazy lucky.
Still no fun.
Hope the rest of your weekend is better.

Anonymous said...

Poor xavier! That looks like it hurt. :( I don't think I have ever seen his hair that long. I think he looks adorable!

cathy said...

Oh dear, I hope he is doing better now.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

for some reason blogger is not telling me when you have new blogs. I don't know why. It is making me nuts! Anyway, I am a little behind.

We got our first set of stitches 2 years ago. The DR was amazed that we had made it 10 years with kids and not had any stitches yet. I also took them out. I am suprised he told you days though, we were told 10.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

oh, and I shoudl mention that I had to take all my kids with me caus my husband was out of town, and Kim can not handle any type of procedure. She grabbed teh baby and ran, said they would be in the waiting area LOL. Thanksfully now Kim is old enough to babysit, so in case of emergency I can leave them with her, I have no one to leave them withe either.

Cassandra said...

Your photos are adorable, i love reading your blog, and i can completey sympathise with having starving kids at the end of their tether in a doctors office! we've been asked to 'wait down the other end' so as not to disturb the other patients... really it's their fault for making us wait to so long i say ;-)

Deanna said...

AWWW....poor guy!! How was his pain the next day?? Hopefully he is doing ok.

Sorry you had such a long wait ~trust me, I feel your pain with waiting in the small room with all the kids NOT FUN!!!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

it's been a few days, you need a new blog!

debi9kids said...

OUCH! That looks painful! (I do not do well with blood. LOL)

Sabrina said...

I have CHILLS! Poor guy! If seeing that on someone else's kid freaks me out, I don't think I could handle it on my own. lol