Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer school



I signed Xavier up for a month of summer school. You may think, "She says he's so smart why summer school?" Well now let me explain, he is in the summer school for kids in grade 2-4, not kindergarten. There are two separate classes, one for literacy and one for math. For the next two weeks he will be doing the literacy then on to math. Today when I dropped Xavier off I took a minute to talk to the teacher to make sure I had placed Xavier in the appropriate class. I am always worried I think he is better than he really is. So anyway she said he did OK the day before but wasn't wowed at all. Today she took them and individually assessed them all. I am excited to report Xavier was the only one in the class who was able to read and understand the whole passage with out making any mistakes. Wahooo!!!!!! Could I be any prouder??!! The teacher was beyond amazed and almost apologized for her lack of amazement the day before. Xavier is at least two years younger than the other kids in the class(four years younger than some of them) and he kicked their butts! To make it all even more exciting she mentioned that he was the only one to read in front of the class. She said he volunteered every time she asked and no one else would. One of the proudest days in my life!

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Way to go! That is awesome, education is something that we need but don't always put a lot of thought into...it's nice to see that he so naturally smart! You are blessed!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Xavier!! Nothing beats a taste for learning!